From: Christopher D. Green [mailto:chri...@yorku.ca]
Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2009 2:56 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] anosmia

I have known a couple of people in my time who had little or no sense of smell.
For one of them -- in about the only instance of my life that my technical
psychological training turned out to be actually, practically useful -- I was
cooking dinner for him one night and decided to sprinkle a bit of cayenne on
the chicken I was baking (recalling from perception class that spicy flavors
are transmitted by the trigeminal cranial nerve, bypassing the olfactory
system). He reported that it was the best food he had eaten in years. The other
one once served a Spanish wine at dinner which she described as being "salty,
briney." When the various guests tasted it, the most obvious impression was a
blast of eucalyptus-like resin of which the hostess was completely unaware.
When I pinched my nose and tried the wine, indeed there was a salty taste to it
that one could not really detect when one could also smell the resin.

Chris
--

Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology