I haven't been to the beach yet this year because it's been too cold for me
although people do go; they tend to be from other parts of the planet. We have
what we call "may gray" and "june gloom" and it's still not over this
year--very cloudy and overcast along the coast, so that we get unclouded sun on
the coast for maybe 3 or 4 hours a day. The water is cold northern Pacific
water and so if it's not sunny and warm out, it's too cold for swimming. So
much for that myth!

In fact, it's not that hot in southern california, which makes for a 'zonie'
invasion every summer (people from Arizona) who come to cool off from the
desert heat. I believe the high yesterday, along the coast where I live, was
something like the mid-70's. Of course, the low was something like the
mid-60's. We don't get much temperature change over a 24 hour period; now what
does make the weather here outstanding for the beach is that in August and
September, our two warmest months of the year, we will get heat waves; but it
always cools down at night so we can sleep well.

One more digression FYI is that we have about a dozen microclimates within San
Diego county. Because of the topography we get coastal weather, inland weather,
mountain weather, desert weather. If you go to www.signonsandiego.com and click
on weather at the very top right you'll see the four major climate zones and
the highs and lows. I used to live inland, in between the coastal mountain
range and the inland mountain range, when my kids were growing up and there we
had very cold winters--just a 30 minute drive from school, which is on the
coast. At night throughout dec, jan, feb, we'd be down in the upper 20's all
winter long. Of course daytime highs were in the 70's. But in the summer, we'd
be in the upper 90's quite often! In the evening, however, we'd usually get the
cool- down except during big heat waves. And all of this is complicated by the
Santa Ana winds, which can cause awful wildfires, and also great heat. So we
can get a long, very hot wave any time in the winter when the wind conditions
develop--in the upper 80's even along the coast and 90's inland, for a week or
two at a time. Mountain weather has lots and lots of tunderstorms year round.
In over 20 years in San Diego, I think I've heard thunder three times along the
coast.

All in all, I think it's perfect weather :) Almost never too hot, almost never
too cold. But definitely too dry! No rain hardly ever. It is a desert that
people have invaded.

When I lived in LA I got lots more beach time. There the weather is more
traditionally of what people think of for southern cal.

And just as of this year only, you can no longer drink at the beach, but you
can in the water, so people have beer brought over from water and they go out
into the water to drink it. Very creative ways to get around the laws.

Ok enough digression from teaching.

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology