At our private liberal arts college, it is easier to do it, the first time
anyway, as a selected topic since the title is already in the catalog. It is
also easier since teaching it as a selected topic can give you a run-through to
see what kind of enrollment might be expected in order to support the proposal
for adding the course.

In order to add a title to the catalog (so the costs are paid out of the
general budget instead of our divisional budget) along with an offering
schedule (every Fall for example), we need to have it approved to go into the
catalog in our annual budget conversations. The chairs of all academic
divisions on campus (and some elected at large members) set the priority budget
order by vote each Fall so to start a new class, you would need to have it
approved during that time. This would be easy to do if some other class is
being replaced by this class but harder to do if the class will create new
load. If it is a class you would like to count for Core (general education)
credit, it needs to be approved by the Core Curriculum Committee for that
purpose. On the other hand, if the division is going to pay for it, it is quite
easy to get it going but we don't usually repeatedly teach a title without
getting it in the catalog so that it is paid for out of the general budget.

As to how difficult this is for the faculty person proposing it, either way, it
is fairly easy. It is the division chair that makes the proposal presentations.

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman, Chair
Division of Humanities and Social Sciences
Professor of Psychology
Box 3055
John Brown University
2000 W. University Siloam Springs, AR  72761
rfro...@jbu.edu
(479)524-7295
http://tinyurl.com/DrFroman