From: "michael sylvester" <msylves...@copper.net>
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@acsun.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:15:22 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [tips] Cursing and pain tolerance

A recent study done in England discovered that subjects who cursed while in
pain could tolerate the pain longer.Experimental subjects inserted their hands
in a bucket of very cold ice water and told to curse repeatedly.Results showed
that subjects who repeated "f--- U" kept their hands in the cold water longer
than subjects repeating non-curse words.Wow,maybe Canadian doctors can now
recommend cursing while their clients wait 9 months for treatment for back
pain. Can tipsters think of other practical applications of cursing?

Michael Sylvester,PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida