From: Paul Brandon <paul.bran...@mnsu.edu>
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS) <tips@acsun.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Tue, Jul 14, 2009 9:19 pm
Subject: Re: [tips] Utility of BMI - from a professional

Of course your REAL BMI (calculated from immersion, not estimated from height
and weight) is probably not in the overweight range.

On Jul 13, 2009, at 7:24 PM, drna...@aol.com wrote:

Hi,

According to my trainer, who has a degree and certifications in this area, BMI
is relatively accurate as a health index for sedentary folks or those whose
activity levels could be described as "average" (little regular exercise). It
is not accurate for those who are? athletic and tend to carry more than average
muscle mass. It makes them appear to be overweight or even obese because it
does not distinguish between body fat and muscle, the latter of which weighs
more and pays more rent in terms of calories.

Thus BMI can also be "normal" or "underweight" and not indicate that the person
in question has other health issues.

My BMI is "overweight" and I am most definitely neither overweight nor
unhealthy (I lift weights, box and do cardio on a regular basis).

Nancy Melucci
Long Beach City College
Long Beach, CA

Paul Brandon