One issue that has emerged from the always-biased, political hearings for
Sotomayor is the contention that a judge's decision can be/or at least should
be, made without being biased by personal history, experience, political
leanings, etc.  She stressed this, while the Republicans want to say that her
statements imply that, as a "wise Latina" she will let her
experiences/perspective over-rule the letter of the law.  Can such judgments
(legal or clinical) be made without bias?  Many apparently feel that such
biases need to be brought to self-awareness and then willfully controlled.
Ahhh, what a historically interesting conception of volition, consciousness,
and "will-power" eh?  I am sure at least one tipster would see this as a
eurocentric bias.
   Much social-cognitive psych research would seem to suggest that cognitive
and social biases are not so easily overcome, indeed, they make up the very way
we apprehend our task, but that most consider themselves to be less vulnerable
than others or those "average" others.  See http://www.mindhacks.com/ for
reference to Emily Pronin's recent research on the self-serving nature of this
bias about one's biases.  Sotomayor contends that a good judge should be
self-aware and take into account such potential biases of background or
perspective.  Is this possible?  Is it valuable to at least attempt? What does
one do here?  Is this like an attempt to cognitively suspend one's biases,
weight it differently, separate it, or somehow subtract it from one's judgment?
 This may indeed be relevant to various qualitative research efforts where the
observer attempts to suspend or bracket, and otherwise make apparent to oneself
or others, the nature of the approach or naive perspective with which one comes
to describe/observe the phenomenon in question. Hasn't social-cognitive
research played a role in training judges better, or exploring ways to help
them see how they may have actually weighted information versus how they think
they have?   Anyway, I thought such issues might be of use in class discussion
regarding social-cognitive biases and how psych research is relevant to various
forms of professional judgment and training.   Gary

Gerald L. (Gary) Peterson, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Psychology
Saginaw Valley State University
University Center, MI 48710