There is a dramatic recreation of the experiment on an old CRM film.
"Methodology: the Psychologist and the Experiment" or something like that.

See it at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7bpwbnged4

Bill Scott

michael sylvester wrote:

> I am trying to recall the details of an experiment that led to the quote
> like "misery loves misery" or "misery love miserable company" It may
> have something to do with subjects choosing to wait alone or with a
> group of other subjects.I suspect that it is relevant to the cognitive
> appraisal theory(Schacter-Singer) of emotion.It is the misery part that
> I am trying to figure out.Please elucidate.
>
> Michael Sylvester,PhD
> Daytona Beach,Florida

Michael:

You are remembering correctly.  The phrase is connected with a
study by Schachter (1959), "The psychology of affiliation."

The "misery" part was that one group of subjects was told that
they were going to experience electric shock and given the
opportunity to wait with other subjects or alone while the
equipment was being readied.

Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D.                  steel...@appstate.edu
Professor
Department of Psychology          http://www.psych.appstate.edu