From: "Mike Palij" <m...@nyu.edu>
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@acsun.frostburg.edu>
Cc: "Mike Palij" <m...@nyu.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:02:15 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [tips] IBM To Buy SPSS, er, PAWS, I Mean PASW

For those of you who have used the statistical program previously known
as SPSS and currently "re-branded" as Predictive Analytics Software
or PASW (though referred to as some as PAWS), it has been announced
that IBM has decided to buy SPSS/PAWS/PASW; see:

http://www.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idUSTRE56R2EX20090728

If you thought your licensing fees were outrageous before, you ain't seen
nothing yet.

By the way, does anyone know what "Predictive Analytics" means?
Does it have a serious meaning or is just biz-speak to make what one
is talking about more obscure (e.g., "solutions" can mean almost anything
that a company can charge for; "enterprise" means "business" though it
does call to mind Captain Kirk for some; and we no longer have
"problems", only "issues").

Damn, I should have bought SPSS when it was $35.09! ;-)

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu