Yawn.

I agree the subject matter of the article is yawnful, but a surprising number of intelligent people take this kind of stuff seriously.

Treating it more seriously than it deserves, I would say that the man's response in the scenario with which the article opens may well be because he is enjoying the situation, and the last thing he wants is to start trying to put his nebulous feelings into words, thereby wrenching him out of the mood of the moment. An attempt to get him to do so he therefore finds finds irritating (especially if its a common occurrence), and the rest follows.

Allen Esterson

Former lecturer, Science Department

Southwark College, London

http://www.esterson.org