Actually it was Rick Froman. I was not addressing the veracity
of the claim that Dickens did nothing positive. I just thought it
ironic,
if it was true, that Orwell, who wrote 1984 without a happy ending,
would criticize another author of writing a fictional work criticizing
society without suggesting a fix.

Sorry, Rick! I believe that's called banalization -- the substituting of a more familiar word/name for a less familiar one. See Sebastiano Timpanaro's *The Freudian Slip: Psychoanalysis and Textual Criticism* (1976), a superb book by a philologist who shows that many slips of the tongue do not require psychoanalytic explanations in terms of unconscious motivations. It deserves to be far better known.

Rick, I wasn't intending my posting to be a direct response to yours. I was using yours as a kind of lead-in enabling me to make a further response to Gladwell! Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
http://www.esterson.org