How about the disappearance of the word "that" from the news, as in "the government warned universities money would be tight". I keep noticing that one.

Sally
Capilano U

----- Original Message ----- From: "DeVolder Carol L" <devoldercar...@sau.edu> To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@acsun.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 8:57 AM
Subject: RE: [tips] word confusions

People using the reflexive "myself" instead of me. "The people there included John, Mary, and myself..."

Using "comprised OF" instead of comprised. "The committee was comprised of the following members..." instead of "the committee comprised..."

"Quote, unquote" instead of "quote...end quote (or close quote)"

These drive me crazy. Thanks for the chance to vent.
Oh--and tack and track, but I could go on. And on.

Carol L. DeVolder, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
Chair, Department of Psychology
St. Ambrose University
518 West Locust Street
Davenport, Iowa 52803

Phone: 563-333-6482
e-mail: devoldercar...@sau.edu
web: http://web.sau.edu/psychology/psychfaculty/cdevolder.htm

The contents of this message are confidential and may not be shared with anyone without permission of the sender.