Because of students' significant confusion over the use of affect and effect, I
present this table and these examples to them at the start of the semester. I
believe I have fewer affect/effect errors than I used to see... of course, I
could be fooling myself.

        Noun                   Verb
Affect  Emotional State        To Influence
Effect  Result of an event     To bring about or Accomplish

Affect Noun: Jim’s affect was positive in reading the student’s papers.
Affect Verb: Vera affected people with her jovial style.
Effect Noun: The effect of the antibiotic was to cure the infection.
Effect Verb: Hard exercise effected a change in muscle mass in Harold.

We do tend to get the students after freshman composition (excepting those
teaching an intro psych course), meaning it is particularly frustrating to see
these errors. Imagine, however, being that freshman composition teacher. I'm
surprised any of them have any hair left.

Paul C. Bernhardt
Department of Psychology
Frostburg State University
Frostburg, Maryland