From: Stuart McKelvie [mailto:smcke...@ubishops.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:00 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: RE: [tips] word confusions/language evolution?

Dear Tipsters,

What do you think about the ubiquitous use of "looking to" when it means
"hoping to" or "expecting to" "or "wishing to"? It annoys me.

Am I an old fuddy-duddy who is not tolerant of one of our "natural" language
evolutions or am I correct that there is a perfectly acceptable and more
accurate existing term available?

Looking forward to your replies.

Sincerely,

Stuart

                 "Floreat Labore"

         "Recti cultus pectora roborant"

Stuart J. McKelvie, Ph.D.,           Phone: (819)822-9600, Extension 2402
Department of Psychology,              Fax: (819)822-9661
Bishop's University,
2600 College Street,
Sherbrooke (Borough of Lennoxville),
Québec J1M 1Z7,
Canada.

E-mail: smcke...@ubishops.ca
    or stuart.mckel...@ubishops.ca

Bishop's University Psychology Department Web Page:
http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy