I'd hardly call myself a Proust scholar, but I do know that Proust's famous
"madeleine memory" was actually from *Swann's Way*.  He refers to the
memory-invoking smell and taste of those delightful little pastries on p. 47
of my copy, which was translated by Lydia Davis:
"And suddenly the memory appeared.  That taste was the taste of the little
piece of madeleine which on Sunday mornings at Combray (because that day I
did not go out before it was time for Mass), when I went to say good morning
to her in her bedroom, my aunt Leonie would give me after dipping it in her
infusion of tea or lime blossom.  The slight of the little madeleine had not
reminded me of anything before I tasted it; perhaps because I had often seen
them since, without eating them, on the shelves of the pastry shops, and
their image had therefore left those days of Combray and attached itself to
others more recent; perhaps because of these recollections abandoned so long
outside my memory, nothing survived, everything had come apart; the forms
and the form, too, of the little shell made of cake, so fatly sensual within
its severe and pious pleating - had been destroyed, or, still half asleep,
had lost the force of expansion that would have allowed them to rejoin my
consciousness.  but, when nothing susbsists of an old past, after the death
of people, after the destruction of things, alone, frailer but more
enduring, more immaterial, more persistent, more faithful, [the following
italics are mine.  B.B.] *smell and taste still remain for a long time, like
souls, remembering, waiting, hoping upon the ruins of all the rest, bearing
without giving way, on their almost imnpalpable droplet, the immense edifice
of memory.*"

Beth Benoit
Granite State College
Plymouth State University