Let us not forget the difference between empirical conclusions as
discussed in the NYT's article today as compared to authoritative
evidence.  James was going on an intuitive supposition--one that clearly
not accurate.  We still respect his but he did make various conclusions
not based on scientific research but people were persuaded simply by his
reputation--a problem that will always be with us in psychology.

Joan
jwarm...@oakton.edu