I have to agree with Stuart's assertion that there is a certain
inspirational element to experiencing a historical space or item first hand.
For example, I was recently at the Archives of the History of American
Psychology (AHAP) in Akron Ohio and was able to see and touch some of the
early film and timing equipment used by psychologists c. 1890-1920. It's
amazing how different my experience of this piece of history is now that I
saw and smelled the actual instruments used at the time. They are so
different than their descriptions in books. There is an atmosphere of
invention in the shelves of wood, glass, and metal apparatus - and it is
quite invigorating to figure out how each piece was put together to serve
its function!

I imagine that Dylan's tour of musical history might have had a similar
impact as mine of AHAP.

Cheers,

Arlie Belliveau
York University, MA2