Since when has the activity of debunking something equaled being  closed
minded?

I am open minded to the possibility, I collect the evidence, I discover
it's very unlikely that UFOs occur (although we are almost certainly not the
only life in this vast universe - the fact that there is probably life
elsewhere  does not mean they are coming here) and I decide against it, after
having been  very distinctly ready to accept it if the evidence was good. I am
open-minded,  and I debunk. Not mutually exclusive.

Dr. S's statement is a great illustration of how students confuse
open-mindedness with accepting that anything can be true regardless of the
quality
of the evidence or lack of it.

I think we can all use the statement to illustrate for that. For once,
something useful comes out of all the annoying, pathetic trolling,

Nancy  Melucci
Long Beach  City College
Long Beach,  CA.
Make a Small Loan, Make a Big Difference - Check out Kiva.org to Learn  How!

In a message dated 8/20/2009 6:05:53 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,