reliance on pontificating without providing references and hard data,I am
pleased to introduce the Michael Sylvester Unobstrusive Observational
Methods(MSUOM). Unobstrusive methods are usually employed to reduce any kind of
suspiciousness that sublects are being observed which could influence the
outcomes of the experiment.These tools are usually employed in both animal and
human ethological research.The MSUOM is just another level of an unobstrusive
method.
I was asked to explain my basis for classifying psychological theories into
major and minor. Well I used  my knowledge of observations of text books such
as the number of pages devoted to a particular theorist.Normally
Freud,Skinner,Piaget have more text pages devoted to them than the
functionalists, and Vigotsky.The term major or minor says nothing about whether
those theorists have valid ideas.The term major or minor has more to do with a
prevailing historical precedence.For example Fritz Perls takes precedence over
Hefferline.Personally of all the neo-Freudians,Erickson has more pages in Dev
psychology than Adler and Horney may get just an insert on a page.
American Psychology has a behavuoristic bias so expect more writings from this
perspective.
I do not agree with Jim on field observations and testimonials. Statistics is
also applicable to these methods in terms of reliability,but the question of
validity is a different story.
Hope this helps.
Michael Sylvester,PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida