The story of the Jaycee Dugard who spent 18 years  in her kidnaper's backyard
and having borne two kids fathered by her kidnaper  is one that sets aside all
those tenets of Eurocentric psychological that usually predicts vague
premonitions of disaster based on trauma,social isolations,cognitive impairment
and the usual garbage(no pun intended) of developmental theories.  All
indications are that Jaycee shows no signs of being traumatized and have
achieved appropriate cognitive functioning and well adjusted. The Stockholm
syndrome idea gives the impression
that captives bond with their captors unwillingly and goes through a sublimated
process to justify their coping process
in the situation.  But in Jaycee's case she had many instances to escape but
might have thought that she could make some positive outcomes to her
situation.This ability to seek some positive outcomes to her situation and to
be a good mom and minimized  the impact of her captivity I refer to as
"strategic acculturation"( More on this later).
I do not condone pedophilia,but Ashley Montagu have noted that there is The
Natural Superiority of Women to cope
with extraordinary circumstances.Jaycee and her kids can read and write well
and no shows no impairment in cognitive,social,and emotional development. How
could this be? It goes against the "nurturists" freaks on Tips.
I suspect that psychologists will have to rethink the idea of what is an
environment.It could be that her access
to computers provided most of the necessary tools.
  There might also be a need to re-assess the positive aspects of
silence,solitude,and minimal social isolation.
As the cross-cultural dude on Tips,I often wonder if Americans have a
condescending and overprotectivenss attitude
towards women. If an American woman gets kidnapped by the enemy we often
perceive the worse possible outcome for her such as rape and so on.Americans do
not seem to like seeing their women in dangerous type of situations.
On the other hand Scandinavian women have been flying jets for years but they
do not worry about the outcomes.
Both Israeli and Palestinian women have been in battle lines. But Americans
seem to envision worse  possible outcomes for their women. Of course men do get
sexually assaulted and raped which could be just as traumatic.
 Jaycee! You go girl!
See if you can send me something.

Michael Sylvester,PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida