Mike Palij wrote:

> Wait a second while I check this book. *searching*  Hmmm,
> I have David McCullough's "John Adams" and I can't find any
> indication that it was peer-reviewed. His Acknowledgements
> on pages 653-656 identify a number of people who provided
> information, read chapters, made suggestions, etc., etc., but
> nothing saying peer review.  Is McCullough's "John Adams"
> considered not be a "true" scholarly work?

It is published by Simon & Schuster, not by a scholarly press. That
doesn't mean it isn't good (nothing *prevents* trade books from being
good). It just means that it isn't published by a scholarly press and,
thus, went through a different process. Try the major university
presses. The best history of science press out there is University of
Chicago. Johns Hopkins Press is good too. Harvard as well.

> Oh boy, Stephen Pinker and Robert Sternberg are both going
> to kick your butt! ;-)

I suspect they both know exactly what they've been doing. Cashing in.

Chris
--

Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology