sbl...@ubishops.ca wrote:
> I've been waiting for Chris Green to post this here, as he did on the History
> of Psychology list,  but as he doesn't seem to be going to, allow me.

Believe it or not, I tried to do exactly that yesterday afternoon, but
had run out of posts for the day. Here's what I attempted to post:

We are all, by now, used to the idea that there are a lot of people in
the US who find Darwin's theory of evolution anathema to their firmly
held religious beliefs. But the new feature film about the impact that
the 1851 death of Darwin's daughter, Annie, had on both his own
religious beliefs and his scientific work has apparently been unable to
even find a distributor in the US and, so, will probably never be seen
in the major theaters there.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/6173399/Charles-Darwin-film-too-controversial-for-religious-America.html
(Thanks to new York grad student Eric Oosenbrug for pointing this
article out to me.)

I would have thought that the revenues from major coastal cities alone
would have been enough to entice a  distributor to pick it up, but
(apparently) the anticipated backlash (boycotts, etc.), presumably
against other movies or products sold by the same company, has caused
them to decline one of the major releases of the year. Quizzical.

Chris
--

Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology