Sorry but with the extensive research on the impact of modeling, I think
it's a little blithe to assume that this research on the impact of
spanking on a child's aggressiveness (that has been conducted for
literally decades) goes into the same category as the more egregious
examples we have discussed in the recent past.  Hundreds of studies have
found a strong association between the use of physical punishment and the
level of aggression to be strong.  And I also happen to find it appalling
that we are now willing to say parents spank because the child is more
difficult--who's the adult in this interaction?!  And are African-American
children innately more difficult than other groups as their parents use
spanking significantly more than other ethnic groups?  And lower class
parents use spanking significantly more than middle class parents so are
their children also innately more difficult?

The research on the impact of discipline on children has been conducted
for eons and this listserv is doing a disservice to this extensive and
ongoing research to be willing to casually put it into the "gee whiz,
chicken or the egg," category.  I think the amount of time and consistency
of the research studies through meta-analysis that the use of physical
punishment precedes the aggression of the children.  Gee, we use to blame
the parents for every thing.  Now we seem ready and willing to blame the
child for the type of discipline their parents decide to use.  Ludicrous
to the extreme.

Joan
jwarm...@oakton.edu