Male bowerbirds just can't abide red. So in this clever, clever
new experiment , Keagy et al (2009) annoyed them by placing
red objects in their nests. Only some objects were harder to
remove than others (a test of bowerbird braininess--an IQ test
for birds, the Stanford-Birdet).

They then counted number of bonks for each male. And brainy
bowerbirds bonked best, giving hope to nerds everywhere.

Keagy, J., Savard, J-F, and Borgia, G. Male satin bowerbird
problem-solving ability predicts mating success. 2009. Animal
Behaviour, in press

http://www.terpconnect.umd.edu/~jkeagy/Keagy_et_al_2009.pdf
[free!]

And to assuage the  tender sensibilities of Mike P., please note
my use of the joyful "bonk" euphemism in place of the naughty
F-word. Come to think of it, I like "sneaky bonkers" even better
than the original. Not that we'll see it anytime soon in a textbook.

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University
 e-mail:  sbl...@ubishops.ca