On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 06:29:33 -0700, Stephen Black was heard to say:
>On 22 Sep 2009 at 9:13, Mike Palij wrote:
>>They were in competition with other teams for
>>determing what the actual structure was but the other teams focused on the
>>wrong structures -- does anyone remember who those researchers were?
>
>Linus Pauling.

*BZZZZZT* I'm so sorry but the correct answer is given in the quote below.
Pauling was only one of several researchers who guessed wrong (note the
wording above "THOSE RESEARCHERS", emphasis added.

Departing guests receive a home edition of "Science Jeopardy" as a consolation
prize.

>Gone but not forgotten. Two Nobels have that effect on people.

And here I thought it was all that Vitamin C he gobbled.  According to
Wikipedia (standard disclaimers apply):

|Pauling then proposed that deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) was a triple
|helix;[49] however, his model contained several basic mistakes, including
|a proposal of neutral phosphate groups, an idea that conflicted with the
|acidity of DNA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Pauling

Pauling wasn't a helix short but apparently had one too many.

Now, from the profile pages of the National Library of Medicine
of the National Institute of Health:

|Other researchers had made important but seemingly unconnected
|findings about the composition of DNA; it fell to Watson and Crick
|to unify these disparate findings into a coherent theory of genetic transfer. |

http://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/SC/Views/Exhibit/narrative/doublehelix.html

So, who remebers Jerry Donohue?

-Mike Palij
New York University