There seems to be a burgeoning of interest in lucid dreaming.
Here is the wikipedia definition:
A lucid dream is a dream in which the sleeper is aware that he or she is
dreaming. When the dreamer is lucid, he or she can actively participate in and
often manipulate the imaginary experiences in the dream environment. Lucid
dreams can seem extremely real and vivid depending on a person's level of
self-awareness during the lucid dream.[1]

There are lots of references and other information as a good point of departure.

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
University of San Diego