Just read the blurb and there are two problems .. one is comparing
retrospective % with prospective (see below) and the other is inferring
causation. But it's probably the reporters who blotched this; they probably
cherry picked % from a lengthy interview and the result makes no sense.

I sometimes spent class time discussing pro- versus retrospective studies, and
also time doing 2 by 2 boxes with different base rates. If you take their "69%
of Candy eaters were violent" and "42% of non-violent children ate candy" and
construct a table, and arbitrarily assign "100" to represent the # of candy
eaters, certain features of the box are fixed, namely

          Violent    Nonviolent
Candy         69           31      100

No Candy __________________42___
                           73

You can make things come out differently depending on the base rate of candy
eating. If only 33%, it follows that:

          Violent    Nonviolent
Candy         69           31      100

No Candy _____158__________42__    200

             227           73      300

It's still true that 69% of candy eaters are violent, 42% (31/73) of nonviolent
kids ate candy, but, 79% of non-candy eaters (158/200) became violent, as
compared to 69% of candy eaters become violent. But you can reverse the
apparent effect by increasing the base rate of candy eating to 50% say, and
having 100 candy eaters. (hopefully I did not mess this up, but I think it's
right).

John W. Kulig
Professor of Psychology
Plymouth State University