There is an interesting article in the NY Times about M.I.T.'s
decision to have students blog on the college website.  See:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/02/education/02blogs.html?_r=1&th&emc=th

A number of schools have started doing this but a lot of schools
have not because the admins of these schools cannot controls
what is written in the blogs.  Places like M.I.T. might be special
in terms of the type and seriousness of the students that go there
and the use of student blogs may be a "marketing" tool to attract
like-minded/attituded students.

I wonder how widespread this practice will become and whether
some schools will continue to give students complete freedom in
writing their blogs while some schools will edit and censor blogs
if not having proffesional writers write the blogs (afterall, this *is*
a marketing took, why not use professionals?).

I wonder what might happen if some of the students blogs start to
focus on particular professors in either a positive or negative
way (as they do on ratemyprofessor.com).  Would restrictions
be put in place (e.g., preventing blogs from saying "this guy may
be the smartest guy on the planet in this field but he couldn't teach
to save his own life" or "it is generally recognized that this professor
has the best sexual techniques outside of class")?

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu