The idea of "ritualized contact" emanates from the ethological writings of
Robert Ardrey and Desmond Morris.But I think that it may well apply to
gatherings at Starbucks which have  for some reason I never understood is being
perceived as a community in its own right.Starbucks appears to be playing a
dual  role as being a business as well as a community and a ritualized one as
such.But the gathering at Starbucks may have more to do with who can afford a $4
cup of coffee than any need for interdependence.And as the cross-cultural dude
on Tips
Starbucks appeal more to whites than to blacks because the sense of community
is already inherent within blacks.
But the major element that contributes to expensive ritualized places like
Starbucks is the underpinning idea that the more cash a group of people are
willing to spend then the
greater the bonding  will be as a community.Habitual Starbucks customers
probably go through
more highs and lows throughout the day than 7 Eleven coffee drinkers and may
not have anything to do with strength of coffee,although I admit sugar could be
a culprit here.
   Another variable from the U.S-centric angle was pointed out by William
Lederer who labels
the U.S as a Nation of Sheep.We love the feeling of being in a gathered group
while maintaining our sense of independence.But true group feeling calls for
interdependence,
I like the way they do in some parts of Europe.It is the guest-at-my-table
idea.People will go to an outside  cafe and leave an empty  seat so anyone can
join them.

Michael  Sylvester,PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida