My colleague, who is not on TIPS,  uses clickers in her Human Sexuality class to poll on sensitive topics and then use the data as a springboard for class discussion. She really enjoys using them for that purpose--it preserves anonymity..something not possible with a show of hands in our small classes. She uses her own questions or questions based on material in the Ins. Manual.  If my memory serves me right, she collected data on use/non use of clickers and student learning in her course, and didn't find any learning benefit.

Julie Osland

-----Original Message-----
From: "Claudia Stanny" <csta...@uwf.edu>
Sent 10/5/2009 10:53:51 PM
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@acsun.frostburg.edu>
Subject: [tips] using clickers in class

Does anyone on the list use personal response devices (AKA “clickers”) in their classes?

If you use these, what types of clicker questions or clicker activities do you use?

My campus adopted a standard clicker and is encouraging use of these to increase student engagement in classes.

I’m interested in compiling examples of interesting ways to use this technology to improve student learning.

For those who have done similar activities using a show of hands instead of clickers, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach?(outside the obvious advantage of cheap and low-tech for the show of hands technique)

Claudia J. Stanny, Ph.D.

Director, Center for University Teaching, Learning, and Assessment

Associate Professor, Psychology

University of West Florida

Pensacola, FL  32514 – 5751

Phone:   (850) 857-6355 or  473-7435