So the bottom line of the article is that High IQ people have a monopoly on
arrogance? That was 10 minutes of my life I won't be getting back. I did enjoy
the quote from Jay Zagorsky but that was excerpted from the list and I didn't
need to read the article to see it. He got a lot of mileage from a zero
correlation or in his words, "Intelligence is not a factor for explaining
wealth." That is getting some good mileage out of a nonsignificant result. My
favorite part though is when he goes on to comfort those humble,
self-deprecating, low IQ investors who must feel badly that they are not
cognitively equipped to make the big money. His comforting words: "Those with
low intelligence should not believe they are handicapped, and those with high
intelligence should not believe they have an advantage." Of course, one problem
with that scenario is that I don't know that I have ever met someone who didn't
believe they were intelligent (OK, they'll admit, maybe not with book smarts
but certainly with common sense or street smarts or money sense or the most
important real life wisdom that they don't reward in no school).

One lesson of this thread is that zero correlations can certainly be
over-interpreted. Yes, there may not be a correlation between IQ and great
wealth but I doubt there is much of a correlation between any identifiable
variable and great wealth. People seem to think that zero correlations are
actually negative correlations. The fact that there is no relationship between
High IQs and great wealth is not evidence that you can be too smart to be
wealthy. Great wealth is bestowed on those who, for whatever set of fortuitous
circumstances happen to be in right place at the right time. How many people do
you suppose there are who quit college (or dropped out of high school) to start
a business in their garage? What percentage of them do you suppose ended up as
billionaires? Even if, retrospectively, you could identify some variables that
all billionaires shared, that wouldn't mean that you could duplicate their
success by mimicking those variables. (Imagine The Boys from Brazil with all
the little kids wearing Bill Gates glasses).

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman, Chair

Division of Humanities and Social Sciences Box 3055

x7295

rfro...@jbu.edu

http://tinyurl.com/DrFroman

Proverbs 14:15 "A simple man believes anything, but a prudent man gives thought
to his steps."