Folks may be aware that PsycInfo comes with different "front ends"
which I assume differ in capabilities and costs.  Two interfaces that
I have access to are: (a)  CSA Illumina and (b) Ebscohost.  The
"look and feel" of both interfaces are different and some of the
functions that appear to be similar do not produce the same results.

For example, because my last name has an unusual spelling, it
should be a unique term to search for.  If I search for articles
where "palij" appears anywhere in the text, I should come up with the
same number of hits regardless of the interface *IF* the functions
are the same.  In CSA, entering "palij" (no quotes) and choosing
the search type "Anywhere", there are 350 hits.  In Ebscohost,
entering "palij" (no quotes) and choosing search type "TX All Text",
there are only 39 hits (a side issue is that the two do not always
agree on the number of citations of an article in the database which
in turn are often systematically lower than the number of citations
provided by ISI Web of Science).  This raises some questions about
why there are these differences when presumably the two interfaces
should be accessing the same database (or do they?).  Has anyone
seen any research on this point?

I just stumbled on the above while trying to answer a more important
question:  in APA 6th edition what is the format of a reference for an
article without a DOI that was located online?  On page 199 of the 6th ed
APA manual, it says:

|If there is no DOI assigned and the reference was retrieved online,
|give the URL of the journal home page.

My first question was, what does this mean and my second question
was how do different interfaces deal with this problem?  Both CSA
and Ebscohost provide the capability of producing APA formatted
references (CSA allows one to produce refs in either 5th edition or
6th edition while Ebscohost provides only one APA option which
appears to be the 6th edition) but they will provide different looking
references if there is no DOI provided (there are some other differences
that one might notice).  Consider:

>From CSA:

Andía, J. F., Deren, S., Friedman, S. R., Winick, C., Kang, S.,
Palij, M., Robles, R. R., Colón, H. M., Oliver-Velez, D., & Finlinson, A.
(2003). Towards an HIV role theory: Drug-related peer beliefs and role
strain indicators as predictors of injection risk behaviors among puerto
rican injection drug users in new york and puerto rico. Journal of Drug
Issues, 33(4), 963-982. Retrieved from www.csa.com

>From Ebscohost:

Andía, J., Deren, S., Friedman, S., Winick, C., Kang, S., Palij, M., et al.
(2003). Towards an HIV role theory: Drug-related peer beliefs and role
strain indicators as predictors of injection risk behaviors among Puerto Rican
injection drug users in New York and Puerto Rico. Journal of Drug Issues,
33(4), 963-982. http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.wexler.hunter.cuny.edu

Focusing on the text provided at the end of the reference, it is clear that
the particular interface is being referenced and not the URL of the journal
homepage as specified in the APA 6th ed. manual.  Perhaps the following
notes need to be kept in mind:

(1) Though the bibliographic formatting associated with the interface to
PsycInfo are useful tools, one will still have to carefully examine the
reference that is produced.  Note that there are 10 authors on the article
and CSA provides all 10 while Ebscohost provides the names for 6
(and eliminates some initials as well).  The final responsibility for an
accurate format of a reference is ultimately the author's, that is, if the
author can figure out what it is currently.

(2) I wonder about the requirement for providing the URL for a journal's
webpage if no DOI is provided (as required in  APA 6th ed).  Clearly,
the interfaces do not provide this info, instead they provide a URL to
themselves.  Since both interfaces appear to be following APA 6th ed,
is this correct practice or does the actual URL of journal's webpage
have to be provided?  Why do I have the feeling that people may just
delete the URL/"retrieved from" info altogether?

I can see the value of providing a DOI but I don't see the value of
providing an URL if it is absent, especially if one gets references from
different college libraries.  Besides, the two URLs provided at the
end of the references above require one to have access to PsycInfo
at those institutions, either as a student or faculty or some other affiliation.
People unaffiliated with the institutions will not be able to access them,
so what is the point?

Again, I wonder if anyone has reviewed the different interfaces that
are currently in use for accessing PsycInfo, how do they differ especially
in providing info that is consistent with APA 6th ed. style.  Any
references on these points would be appreciated.

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu