On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, Britt, Michael went:

...then you have to deal with the Results section.  Forget about the
relatively straightforward t-test or anova.  Today's articles are
filled with lengthy explanations of the most detailed statistical
procedures imaginable (Auto-Regressive Integrated Moving Average
anyone?).  I taught stats for many years and took a multivariate
stats class in grad school and I can only begin to understand the
typical results section of some of these articles.  And we expect
"people-people" to connect with (or even want to read) a typical
scientific article in our field?

That's a good point--the kinds of studies that are of greatest
interest to clinicians are exactly the kinds of studies that are best
analyzed with complex statistical methods, making the reports daunting
to read.

But this problem can be overcome by good writing.  Readers might not
understand the mathematics behind a particular technique, but they can
understand the *logic* if it's explained straightforwardly.  I'll link
to one of many examples--in an APA journal:

<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19254107>

This article relies on some heady multilevel modeling, described in
detail for those who want detail, but it also contains plain-English
explanations of what the models mean.  I've shown it to a couple of
smart people whose background in stats in minimal, and they found the
results both understandable and fascinating.

Moral: use whatever abstruse stats you need, but write to be
understood!  I'd be interested in seeing other TIPsters' examples of
papers that pull this off.

--David Epstein
  da...@neverdave.com