A curious (if not unbelievable) story was making the rounds
today as a White female and a Black male were refused a
marriage license by a local justice of the peace in Louisiana.
One source is the AP story on news.yahoo.com, see:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091015/ap_on_re_us/us_interracial_rebuff

Quoting from the article:

|A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue
|a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern
|for any children the couple might have. Keith Bardwell,
|justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his
|experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.

|"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that
|way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday.
|"I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home,
|I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like
|everyone else."
|
|Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if
|they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry
|them, he said.

And from the San Francisco Chronicle, quoting:

|What was the reason Judge Bardwell gave for his mindless actions?
|"I do it to protect the children, he reportedly said. The kids are
|innocent and I worry about their futures."
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/abraham/detail??blogid=95&entry_id=49771

Oddly enough, Bardwell's refusal to issue the license/perform the
marriage ceremony appears to be legal in Louisiana even though
the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that interracial marriages are legal
in its Loving v. Virgina decision; see:
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=388&invol=1

Is this a teachable moment?

-Mike Palij