���Mike Palij raises a number of points, but I'll start with his citing
the importance of headlines of newspaper articles for creating an
impression, quite possibly misleading. Well, Mike went much further
than this in his first posting on this thread. After an introduction
that implied that the subject was not appropriate for a TV documentary
(I don't know any other way of reading it), he then cited a list of
items from a very lengthy Daily Mail article, presumably listed to
demonstrate the supposed iniquities of the programme. Somehow he
omitted to mention the following:

"In the programme a range of academics line up to criticise the views
of the two men."

"Oona King, Channel 4's head of diversity, said the programme shows
conclusively 'that you cannot link race to IQ'." (Oona King is a
mixed-race black Jewish ex-MP (Labour Party):
http://tinyurl.com/ykjwmj7 )

And from both the Mail and Telegraph articles:
"A Channel 4 spokesperson said: 'This new season of programmes sets out
to explode some of the myths about race and science and to cast light
on the history and consequences of scientific racism.
'The Season debunks the myths about science and race – science has been
misused to legitimise racist beliefs and practices – these programmes
are the antidote to that.
'Season roundly dismisses the ideas: that race is a predictor of
intelligence; that racial purity has scientific benefits and that any
one race is superior to another'."

I'm not sure Mike is in a good position to criticize sub-editor
headline writers when he presented such a one-sided impression of the
articles he cited. After all, repeating a point made by Mike himself
(that people often don't read closely past the headlines), TIPSters may
well have thought that Mike had told them all they needed to know about
the content of the articles, thereby gaining a thoroughly misleading
idea of them, and of the upcoming documentary.

Parenthetically, the inspiration for the documentary may have been a
scholarly debate featured in *Nature* in February this year: Darwin
200: "Should scientists study race and IQ?"
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v457/n7231/full/457786a.html

There are a number of interesting items in Mike's lengthy second
posting on this thread, but almost the whole of it is irrelevant to the
point supposedly being answered. So I'll make it again: Mike's heading
for the thread is "The British Continuing Obsession". Note the word
"continuing". This can only mean it is an obsession in the present as
well as the past, so I asked for evidence that "this is [sic] an
obsession in Britain and (b) that the topic comes up more in the news
in Britain than in the States. In other words, I was rebutting the
clear implication in Mike's heading that distinguishing groups of
people on the basis of their IQ is currently an obsession in Britain.
Mike cites two living British psychologists, both outside of mainstream
psychology. Since when has the work of two psychologists out of many
thousands constituted a general "obsession"?

On Mike's saying he doesn't understand the relevance of question (b)
above: I hope its relevance is now clear. If IQ is supposedly a
"continuing" (i.e., current) obsession in Britain, where is the
evidence that it comes up in newspapers more frequently than in the
States?

As I said, almost all of Mike's second posting was not relevant to my
questions, but I note that much of it consists of straight "cut and
paste" from Wikipedia, hardly a scholarly procedure. That this is also
rather indiscriminate is indicated by the following:

>Hans Eysenck, see:
|By far the most acrimonious of the debates has been that over the
|role of genetics in IQ differences (see intelligence quotient#Genetics
|vs environment), which led to Eysenck famously being punched on
|the nose during a talk at the London School of Economics.[10]

So? Are we supposed to take exception to the fact that Eysenck believed
that genetic factors play an appreciable role in IQ scores?

And
|In 1994 he was one of 52 signatories on "Mainstream Science on
|Intelligence," an editorial written by Linda Gottfredson and published
|in the Wall Street Journal, which defended the findings on race and
|intelligence in The Bell Curve.[14]

The article in question, containing 25 short statements on specific
issues, went far beyond dealing with race and IQ. In this document you
will find such outlandish statements as:

9. IQ is strongly related, probably more so than any other single
measurable human trait, to many important educational, occupational,
economic, and social outcomes…

22.There is no definitive answer why IQ bell curves differ across
racial-ethnic groups…. Most experts believe that environment is
important in pushing the bell curves apart, but genetics could be
involved too…

Mike cites some British psychologists involved with the British
Eugenics Society, and gives the impression that the eugenics movement
in Britain was concerned with differences between ethnic and racial
groups:
>Historically, I think that it can be documented that the issues
>of eugenics, whether different ethnic and racial groups differ
>in significant ways on measures of moral and intellectual ability,
>represent a consistent intellectual tradition in Great Britain.

Mike includes two categories here, thereby enabling him to include the
"IQ and race" issue. In fact historically the eugenics movement in
Britain was almost entirely about what were believed to be heritable
mental and physical disabilities, and I don't think there was anything
much, if at all, about ethnic and racial groups.

But these items have little relevance to my main point, requesting from
Mike evidence that there is an obsession with categorizing groups of
people on the basis of the IQ currently in Britain.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
http://www.esterson.org