���From Stephen Black:
>"Make it a manual on pigeon-breeding! Forget the rest.
>Everyone loves pigeons--it'd be reviewed by every journal
>in the land".

>Unnamed publisher's reader on the MS for _ On the  Origin
>of Species_.

>From the poem, "A Pigeon Fancier's Manual" by Ruth Padel
> (Darwin's great-great-grandaughter), reprinted in _Science_,
>326, October 2, 2009, p. 49.

Another "poem" about Darwin:

“Darwinian man, though well behaved, at best is only a monkey shaved.”
W. S. Gilbert

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article5600679.ece

http://tinyurl.com/yfkbh6z

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
http://www.esterson.org

[tips] Worst manuscript reader advice ever?
sblack
Sun, 18 Oct 2009 16:45:20 -0700
"Make it a manual on pigeon-breeding! Forget the rest.
Everyone loves pigeons--it'd be reviewed by every journal in the
land".

Unnamed publisher's reader on the MS for _ On the  Origin of
Species_.

>From the poem, "A Pigeon Fancier's Manual" by Ruth Padel
 (Darwin's great-great-grandaughter), reprinted in _Science_,
326, October 2, 2009, p. 49.

See also
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/18/books/18pade.html

I tried to verify this quote and came up with another version of
the claim which seems authoritative (which means I believe it).

The misguided reader was the Reverend Whitwell Elwin who
"was appalled by what he read and in a letter to Murray
[Darwin's publisher] poured out his pain and hostility to Darwin´s
theories, advising Murray not to publish this controversial work.
He described it as `wild and foolish´ and instead suggested that
Darwin should write a book on pigeons. "Everybody is interested
in pigeons. The book would be received in every journal in the
kingdom and would soon be on every table."

http://darwinspigeons.com/#/john-murray/4535045590

Imagine if Darwin had taken his advice.