From: Marc Carter [marc.car...@bakeru.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:24 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: [tips] Learning and Behavior

Hi, All --

I'm doing a class in Learning and Behavior next semester, and this time I'm
going to use Sniffy (in the past it's been a real rat lab, but what with
budgets and failing equipment, I'll only get one example rat and have them do
exercises with Sniffy).

Anyway, I want it to be a course that does not only the psychology of learning,
but the philosophy of behaviorism.  Sniffy learns fast, and I have a 3-hour
lab, so we can move fairly quickly, and spend probably the last month of the
semester doing more of the philosophical underpinnings.  I want them to have a
fairly deep understanding of both epistemological (methodological) and
metaphysical behaviorism (umm, determinism).

I'm wondering if someone out there has taught a similar course.  I've read a
bunch of Skinner and about-Skinner, but am just wondering what others have used
in courses.  I'm also interested in a text to supplement Sniffy (the learning
in there doesn't go as deeply as I would like).

So, ideas?  I'll repay with reporting about how it goes...

Marc Carter, PhD
Associate Professor and Chair
Department of Psychology
College of Arts & Sciences
Baker University
--

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by Baker University ("BU") and is intended to be confidential and for