I would check on whether or not you really cannot get enough used
copies or older versions of books. Sometimes the book company still has
older versions of the text that they would be willing to sell (check
with your book rep).

Amadio, Dean wrote:

>Hello all. We're in the process of submitting textbook requests to our
bookstore for the Spring, and both of my texts (from the same company)
are in new editions starting in January. I know I've seen at least one
other person raise a concern about this on this list or another list,
but I cannot recall any discussion about it specifically. I'm told
since my classes usually are heavily enrolled, it might be too
difficult to obtain used, last editions for everyone - necessitating
ordering the new edition instead. I know some companies have been
changing editions mid-year for a while now, but this is my first
experience with the issue. Is this mid-year change becoming more
common? If so, is it related in any way to the upcoming federal law
requiring academic institutions to post book prices, as I understand,
as early as registration? It doesn't seem related, but perhaps I'm
missing something. Is there some underlying financial motivation? I
know a lot of us use the summer to acclimate to new editions and new
texts, and mid-year changes are a lot harder to deal with I bet. I'm
almost inclined to go with a different company completely, but if
everyone's doing it I may have no choice!

>Dean M. Amadio
>Siena College
>dama...@siena.edu
>---
>To make changes to your subscription contact:
>
>Bill Southerly (bsouthe...@frostburg.edu)

Deb

Dr. Deborah S. Briihl
Dept. of Psychology and Counseling