Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:16 PM
Subject: [tips] reply to bill and new student Q

I completely miss the point of your response and will not be able to respond again until tomorrow.

And drat! I had ANOTHER student question to post: Is it common or rare or even possible that eye color changes across the life span?

I am merely suggesting that Hake makes a good point. Given that we have a background in the areas of the many factors that make for good educational practice why are we not the driving force in that are of research and literature?

If you examine the literature on outcomes assessment it is dominated by the hard sciences. Yet, there can be no denial based on my own published research and the literature reviews therein, that we, as a discipline of psychology are doing a horrible job of disabusing students of the psychobabble they come into our courses with. We are perfectly happy to fill students up with the facts as we see them, and never pay any attention as to whether or not they have taken the false preconceptions and replaced them with correct conceptions. We pay no attention to pedagogies and teaching techniques that could benefit our discipline in the public eye, by doing so.

And I guess for that matter maybe we should have better behaved pets and children........

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
University of San Diego