I am curious as to tipsters' feelings about promoting adjuncts to full time
positions. I personally feel that such a practice has its pluses and
minuses.What I do not like about it is that many highly qualified people who
may go through an exhaustive application process may not get a job because of
an adjunct who may have an edge.I have seen many good applicants not given a
job because of this.It would seem that being an adjunct is like  a pre-existing
condition to getting some job security.Some schools in Florida have a penchant
for promoting adjuncts to full
iime but they advertise positions as a  federal formality.Community colleges
seem to be  the major culprits.And from my observation women adjuncts seem to
be at an advantage.
Personally I feel that adjuncts should sign a pledge that they will not apply
for any full time
position openings. There are too many PhDs oit there who are trying to break
into the academic market. The "Florida factor" is noticeable: some profs up
North will apply for openings in Florida
and will take a pay cut just to be in the sunshine State and to party on the
beach.On the other hand profs in Florida usually stay put,get laid back,and
struggle to produce academic research.
For some being an adjunct in Florida is like being professor emeritus On the
other hand because of the current economic conditions,institutions may favor
promoting adjuncts.

Michael "omnicentric" Sylvester;PhD
 Wasting away in Margaritaville
Daytona Beach,Florida