A great "psychophysics" demonstration you can do in class uses money and
hapiness (rather than calibrated lights or sounds). First, ask students
to imagine that they have been given $100. Ask them to get a sense of
how happy that would make them. Then ask them to imagine that they have
been given $200. Ask them is the happiness of getting $200 is TWICE
that  of getting $100, or if it seems somewhat less than twice as happy.
Most will answer the latter. Voila! The non-linear relationship between
physical and psychological intensity.

Chris
--

Christopher D. Green