From: tay...@sandiego.edu [mailto:tay...@sandiego.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:19 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: [tips] How can you tell a journal is "vanity"?

Hi Tipsters:

If you have already seen this on psychteach just delete.

I am looking for a home for a manuscript for an honors student's thesis that is
quite good. She is applying to grad programs and so we want to stay away from
"vanity" journals because no matter how wonderful and rigid the review process,
as for Psych Record, apparently it is a kiss of death. Apparently it is better
not to publish at all than to publish in a vanity journal. I don't get it, but
I guess it's not mine to get or not get...

That said, we've been looking for an appropriate home. The journal of ed psych
would be good, but her paper, although important, is small. The papers in that
journal, as well as most APA journals, are all large, multi study papers for
the most part.

OK, so a journal like ToP that has short reports is good, but she doesn't want
the ToP turn around time. Something "under review" will probably be better than
nothing on her vita at this point. But the ToP "under review" can take a very
long time.

So then we looked at Contemporary Educational Psychology, as a good fit for a
short report, but we can't find anything on their website that indicates
whether or not you have to pay to publish. But other journals, that I KNOW you
have to pay to publish in, also don't say so right on the advice to authors'
information page; usually it's just about using APA style, how to do figures,
tables, etc., etc., all the mechanics.

So, how is a person to know if they are submitting to a "vanity" journal? HELP!

Is there a listing anywhere of "good" versus "bad" journals to publish in? This
whole aspect of the enterprise seems to fly in the face of public dissemination
of psychological science if we have to become obsessed with good peer review,
but oh wait! if you are paying for publication there MUST be something wrong
with your paper......

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology