From: Britt, Michael [mailto:michael.br...@thepsychfiles.com]
Sent: Friday, October 30, 2009 11:42 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: [tips] Seligman's Explanatory Style

One of my favorite theories (which has now found a home in the
"positive psychology" movement) is Seligman's ideas regarding the
effects of your explanatory style (especially in your reaction to
negative events) on your mood.  In the early days he talked about a
negative style as one that is Internal ("I'm stupid!"), Stable ("I'll
never get this!") and Global ("I'm going to fail at other things as
well!").  Recently in his more popular books I see that he has changed
these terms to Personal, Persistent and Pervasive.  Whatever you call
them, I rather like the whole theory and certainly think it's worth
teaching at the introductory level.  I checked a couple of intro books
and to my surprise I found very little in-depth coverage of these
ideas.   I found explanatory style covered briefly in the Personality
chapter, and then in the Stress chapters of two other intro books.
Too bad - for such a useful theory.  Why do you think it doesn't get
more exposure?  Too much material to cover in one book I suppose.

Michael

Michael Britt
mich...@thepsychfiles.com
www.thepsychfiles.com