Based upon what I found after a careful review of the recent Milgram replication study (and other pubs), it is not true that participants "claimed they were traumatized for life".

Michael Britt
mich...@thepsychfiles.com
www.thepsychfiles.com

On Oct 30, 2009, at 4:23 PM, Rick Froman wrote:

I think the debunking Stephen is asking about involved claims made on the "25 Scariest" site including this sentence about the Milgram study: "Later, many participants claimed they were traumatized for life after discovering that they were capable of such inhumane behavior." My understanding is that that did not happen.

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman, Chair
Division of Humanities and Social Sciences
Professor of Psychology
Box 3055
John Brown University
2000 W. University Siloam Springs, AR  72761
rfro...@jbu.edu
(479)524-7295
http://tinyurl.com/DrFroman

-----Original Message-----
From: sbl...@ubishops.ca [mailto:sbl...@ubishops.ca]
Sent: Friday, October 30, 2009 3:20 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] Scary experiments

On 30 Oct 2009 at 15:41, Jim Clark wrote:

Hi

Here's a link to the 25 scary experiments, courtesy of Jeff Ricker on PESTs, and my comment on the
examples. ricopa.edu> 30-Oct-09 12:21 PM

http://io9.com/5390389/25-of-the-scariest-science-experiments-ever-conducted

I was just going to complain that the author of that website,
Annalee Newitz, ripped off The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Oops! It seems the CHE got it from that website. What I clicked
on on the Chronicle site took me to her website but I didn't
notice. Good thing I didn't leave a nasty comment for Annalee.

Jim also said:

claims about at least some of the examples have
been debunked: e.g., Milgram experiment as noted by one
commenter

I thought that Milgram held up pretty well despite difficulties in
repeating it for ethical reasons. Perhaps Jim could elaborate on
this debunking.

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University