On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 14:20:41 -0800, Riki Koenig wrote:
>Please excuse the cross-posting
>
>A question arose today about when babies can perceive color.
>Is it an innate ability?  The opposing view is that they can only
>see black and white at birth and color requires neurological
>development and maturation.

I'm not sure that the distinction is so "black & white" (pardon
the expression) but one reference relevant to this is the following:

Experience in Early Infancy Is Indispensable for Color Perception
Current Biology, 14(14), July 2004, 1267-1271.

Yoichi Sugita,
Neuroscience Research Institute, National Institute of Advanced
Industrial Science and Technology and Crest, Japan Science and
Technology Agency, Teragu 1497-1, Tsukuba, 300-4201, Japan

Received 2 March 2004;  revised 1 June 2004;  accepted 1 June 2004.
Published: July 27, 2004.  Available online 26 July 2004.

Abstract
Early visual experience is indispensable to shape the maturation of
cortical circuits during development [1]. Monocular deprivation in
infancy, for instance, leads to an irreversible reduction of visually
driven activity in the visual cortex through the deprived eye and a
loss of binocular depth perception [2], [3] and [4]. It was tested
whether or not early experience is also necessary for color perception.
Infant monkeys were reared for nearly a year in a separate room
where the illumination came from only monochromatic lights. After
extensive training, they were able to perform color matching. But,
their judgment of color similarity was quite different from that of
normal animals. Furthermore, they had severe deficits in color constancy;
their color vision was very much wavelength dominated, so they
could not compensate for the changes in wavelength composition.
These results indicate that early visual experience is also indispensable
for normal color perception.
Copyright © 2004 Elsevier Ltd All rights reserved.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6VRT-4CY7JRM-W&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1087176576&_rerunOrigin=scholar.google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=f17062fd800a1bd5e4f6ae51ab2f677f

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu