On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 15:52:13 -0800, Allen Esterson wrote:
>In relation to this article:
> http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2009/12/gladwell-200912

>Mike Palij wrote [snip]
>> Perhaps what I like least about Gladwell's writing is
>> when he comes off like a snarky intellectual version
>> of Larry King, AS HE DOES IN THIS THROWAWAY
>> ARTICLE. (emphasis added)

>And Christopher Green wrote: [snip]
>> more to the point of THIS ADMITTEDLY TRITE
>> GLADWELL PIECEā€¦" (emphasis added)

>And Mike again:
>> It may come as a surprise to some, however, that GLADWELL
>> IS DOING A SHTICK, but this is, of course, his most
>> adorable/annoying characteristic. :-) (emphasis added)
>
>Hey, folks. The article was a parody of Gladwell *written by Craig
>Brown*.

Really?  The piece by Brown appears on page 206 of the December
issue of Vanity Fair.  At the end of the one page article it says:

"--As Told to Craig Brown"

The same statement is made under the headlines of the Paltrow
article on the VF website (though not for Gladwell's piece, instead
under the headline there is the statement "Malcolm Gladwell explains
Christmas to Craig Brown").  Now, if Brown interviews Paltrow and
Gladwell, I expect that Brown is the author of the printed interview.

However, this is not the sense of "written" you imply, rather, you seem
to be saying that he pretends to interview people and uses the made-up
interview to parody/sartirize/mock the interviewee. Perhaps you reach
this conclusion because you are familiar with Brown's other writing
where he has used this "gimmick" (since he is a British writer and not
that well known on this side of the pond).  But I must ask the following
question:

Given what Vanity Fair has presented on Brown's Maccolm Gladwell
article, what either in the magazine or the webpage on which it appears
supports your contention that it is fiction?

I concede that Brown may have written a parody of Gladwell but on
the basis of what available evidence (that is the article in VF and on the
website) would lead one to this conclusion?

I recognize that writers may write about things in a satirical style but
one often has to know both the writer and the person/thing being
satirized to realize that it is satire.  For example, being able to follow
Michael Musto in the "Village Voice" often requires extra knowledge
to distinguish the "phoney" statements he might make from the "real"
statements.  Does reading Craig Brown require such knowledge?
Does one have to be in on the joke to know that it is a joke?
Or is everything he writes a joke?

>Craig Brown would be amazed that it led to a serious exchange
>on the meaning of Christmas!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/craigbrown.shtml

I would say that if he was amazed, then he would be amazed at the
statement among theater folks that "Satire is what closes on Saturday
night" (attributed to George S. Kaufman who apparently was a
runner-up in a "Barton Fink" look alike contest, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_S._Kaufman )

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu