I was in boarding school in France. I was 12 years old and remember that during
the elections my family had voted Republican despite the fact that we were
staunch Catholics. My father really liked Nixon (something I find surprising
now but I can't ask him about it as he passed away 30 years ago). That bit of
context is important for my reaction. I (think I) remember my parents talking
with other adults about the Kennedy family being "suspicious" in making all
that money during the depression.

Anyway, so there I am in boarding school and we were washing up at night, for
bed. There was a long row of sinks where we all washed up (and goofed around
and got in trouble under the nuns' watchful eyes).

One of the nuns told me that Kennedy has been shot and killed. I remember
thinking not much about it because if my parents, who knew everything (still,
at 12 years old I thought my father, especially, knew everything!) then it must
not be too tragic. I just went on washing up.

Hmmm. The thoughts of children.

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology