On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 16:12:06 -0800, William Scott wrote:
>Wouldn't there be some problems with the Americans with Disabilities Act?

There is a possibility that the ADA might be relevant in cases
of extreme/morbid obesity but not for other cases of being
overweight.  A couple of short articles on the www.findlaw.com
website are relevant.  First, the general issue of whether obesity
is a disability:
http://library.findlaw.com/2000/Feb/1/128328.html

And a situation comparabile to that in Lincoln college but
involving Ohio state employees:
http://library.findlaw.com/1998/Feb/1/131833.html

The issue may be moot, however, since the students entered
the college's program with acceptance of the reduced weight
requirement, one could argue that they are contractually
obligated to fulfill this requirement and failure to do so is
the basis for the college not to fulfill its part of the contract,
that is, granting a degree.  I believe a number of private
colleges may require students to sign statements that they
will not engage in certain behaviors (I believe Brighan Young
University does this in order to make sure that students and
faculty adhere to the general principles of the Mormon religion).
In the obesity case, students may have signed a similar statement.
If so, there is an explicit contract.

However, I am not a lawyer and I am sure that someone is likely
to contest this in court.

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu

>>> "Mike Palij" <m...@nyu.edu> 12/04/09 4:55 PM >>>
Imagine having to have a BMI below the obese threshold in order
to be able to graduate from college.  Imagine no more; see:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/dec/04/lincoln-fat-graduate-obesity

I wonder when this will be made a condition of granting tenure.