I thought the method was deficient, but probably for the reasons you mention.

Had my freshmen/sophomore students not picked up such a blatant confound they
would have been seriously marked down.

But let's start with the introduction and their interpretation of the Rauscher,
et al. paper: they only mention the result that "a group of 36 college
undergraduates improved their spatial-temporal intelligence after listning to
10 minutes of a Mozart sonata." No where do they then note how long that effect
lasted (less than a few minutes), that it was only for 1 from a large series of
both verbal and spatial-temporal tasks and that NONE of the other tasks showed
any effect (gee, with alpha = .05 and we have nearly 20 tasks, might not one
show something even at a higher sig rate just by chance?). And absolutely
nothing in the lit review of the legion of studies that have failed to
replicate the effect.

They then go on to mention some studies where music in general has had a
positive effect on preterm infant development but the purpose of this study was
to specifically find support for the music of Mozart having a specific effect
on resting energy expenditure (REE) as a means of inferring effects on growth
(no rationale provided for this relationship).

Now for the method: There is a commercial "Baby Mozart" CD played versus no
music; (mis)leading to the article's title of , "Effect of Mozart music on
energy expenditure in growing preterm infants" and obviously meant to play on
the well-known and popularized "Mozart Effect." There is no "some other music"
condiiton, no "ambient noise" condition, no "talking to the baby" condition, no
"any old sound" condition, etc. etc. etc. etc.

In addition, the sample is very small: 18 infants. They used random assignment
to groups, but that resulted in a highly unbalanced design (5 music first group
and 13 no music first group; then the reversal of 5 and 13). I don't see
anywhere in their statistical report that they corrected or allowed for this.
Somehow this use of random assignment is mentioned repeatedly as a gold
standard they used to assure their study is flawless. (Who taught their RM
class?)

The infants in the music condition listened to this Baby Mozart CD for 10
minutes then had 20 additional minutes of exposure while undergoing testing.

So now the measure they used for the outcome was basically O2 in and CO2 out as
a measure of metabolic activity. In other words, could this not be a measure of
respiratory rate in general?

So what do we find: Less O2 goes in and CO2 comes out while Mozart is
playing--breathing slows down?

So what do we gain from the discussion: the effect is probably short lived. In
addition, "the clinical implications of our findings belong in the field of
speculation." They cannot conclude that there is a relationship between resting
energy expenditure and growth rates. Well, DUH! how much growth can we measure
in 30 minutes total study time?

In fact, the authors make all this clear in the discussion and I wonder why
this was even published. Bottom line.

Oh and BTW, the last paragraph they cite a study with obese adults and find no
effect of music on REE (the dependent measure described above). WTH? why is
this tacked on, on the last paragraph?

All I can say is it's crap that just made the headlines.

SIGH. Deep breath.

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology