Thank goodness that Ivan Petrovich Pavlov was not a member of the Harvard faculty.

Ken

Jim Dougan wrote:

I am told by my graduate advisor (F.K. McSweeney) that it is something of a Harvard tradition to publish that way. Herrnstein sometimes went as R.J. Herrnstein. Stevens went by S.S. Stevens, etc. They are respectively called "Fran" Dick" and "Smitty" by friends - but they published using initials. Of course, Skinner's friends called him "Fred" so he does not break the pattern.

Of course there is JER Staddon and MEP Seligman if we want to go to 3 initials.

-- J.D. Dougan
Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D.                  steel...@appstate.edu
Professor and Assistant Chairperson
Department of Psychology          http://www.psych.appstate.edu