From: Dr. Bob Wildblood [mailto:drb...@rcn.com]
Sent: Sat 12/19/2009 1:01 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: [tips] A student request - Any comments

I got the message below yesterday from a student who, in spite of what she says
did not attend approximately 1/3 of the classes.  What you see is a copy of her
email without editing.  My syllabus states clearly that the grade is based on
the four scheduled tests (and I offer an "optional" final exam so that a
student who misses a test or who wants to try to improve their grade by
replacing a low grade on one of the four tests).  Her grades were 49, 60, 65,
and 70 and she did not take the "optional" final exam.  The syllabus also says
there are no extra credit opportunities.  Any comments?  WWYD?

"Dr. Wildblood

I know this is very late but after reviewing my grades for this semester I
realized that my grade for your class, Psychology was my only grade that was
below a B. I am applying to Radiology school at Mary Washington Hospital in
Janurary and they willl not accept an application with a gade that i received
in your class. I know that the grade reflects work that i did in your class,but
i shpwed up tp class everyday and took notes and payed attention.  This is my
second time taking psychology because my credit from last year at UVA WISE did
not transfer and i happened to have a B in that class. (go figure). Although
the only thing that helped me receive that B was extra work and assigments that
were given in class by the professor. I am not a good test taker as you can
see. I study for the tests and think i know the information.  But when i am
given the test i do horrible.  Is there anything i can do, an extra paper or
something that i can turn in or email you that will raise my g!
rade to a B.  i need it for Radiology school.  If i need to make an appoitment
and come in i am willing to do that.
thank you"

.
Robert W. Wildblood, PhD
Riverside Counseling Center and
Adjunct Psychology Faculty @
Germanna Community College
drb...@rcn.com
.
The soundest argument will produce no more conviction in an empty head than the
most superficial declamation; as a feather and a guinea fall with equal
velocity in a vacuum.
- Charles Caleb Colton, author and clergyman (1780-1832)
.
Be like the fountain that overflows,
not like the cistern that merely contains.
-Paulo Coelho, Brazilian Author and Lyricist
.
We have an obligation and a responsibility to be investing in our students and
our schools. We must make sure that people who have the grades, the desire and
the will, but not the money, can still get the best education possible.

- Barack Obama, President of the United States of America

<<winmail.dat>>